Brown Banded Roaches
The Brown Banded Cockroach is often confused with the German Roach, but it's habits are different.
- They are often brought in dwellings in furniture. Commonly found in the southern states, but may be found in warmer parts of buildings in the northern states.
- Found only indoors.
- They may be found throughout the building, especially in high areas such as picture frames and ceilings.
Brown Banded Cockroach Appearance
They are light brown,about 1/2 inch long. They have two light, irregular bands along their wings. The German Roach has two dark, distinctive bands behind their heads.
They prefer starchy materials, but being scavengers will eat almost anything.
Habits and Biology of Brown Banded Cockroaches
The female will only carry the egg capsule for one or two days,then attach it to a protected surface. Each capsule contains 14-18 eggs, the young reach maturity in about 160 days. You can find these light brown egg capsules usually under or to the sides of a surface, well protected.
They don't require the same moisture resources as the German Roach, so they are commonly found in furniture, or on the walls and ceilings. They are not as commonly found in they kitchen and bathrooms, as the German Roach, but can be found near refrigerator motors and other major appliances. Also look behind pictures and in closets. They are rarely seen during the day and the adult male may fly. They prefer dry and warm places and may be scattered throughout the building.
Recommendations for Brown Banded Roach Control
- As with the German Roach a good quality roach bait would be recommended for the Brown Banded Cockroach. You may also want to add to the treatment with an aerosol first.
- Follow the same recommended guidelines as the German Roach, but application would most likely not be restricted to mainly kitchens and bathrooms.
- A thorough inspection would be required, as they are not restricted to moisture needs in the kitchens and bathrooms. They are more commonly found in other rooms inside the house.
- The Brown Banded and the German Roach are the most challenging of roaches to manage and eliminate. To accurately and completely eliminate these roaches you need to attack them from several tools using baits, dusts, growth regulators and pheromone traps.
- The technology of the pest control market has switched to an integrated pest management like baiting ,dusting, and the use of insect growth regulators and pheromone traps against the German or Brown Banded roach, as opposed to just using a residual or contact insecticide either in an aerosol form or liquid form.
- The products we recommend have not had a resistant problem.
Recommended Products: Baits, Aerosols, Insect Growth Regulators(IGR'S) and Roach Traps
Invict Gold Cockroach Bait Gel has both proven to be extremely effective on German Roaches. We have had very good reviews of Invict Roach Bait Gel.
This kit combines the Insect Growth Regulator IGR with the Invict. Killing the adult population and preventing new births.
Maxforce Impact Roach Bait Gel is another recommended bait for bait-averse roaches. You can add Gentrol Point Sources for the insect growth regulator at discounted prices.
Alpine Cockroach Gel Bait in a piston can. This can is the best of both worlds, the convenience of spraying, but in a gel bait form. Contains the reduced risk insecticide Dinotefuran. It is free of the Big 8 Allergens
Invict Gold, Alpine, Advion and Vendetta Roach baits have roach bait gel acceptance and are superior to other professional roach baits on the market with some very quick results.
Click Here for more: Cockroach Baits
Insect Growth Regulators - IGR'S
Insect Growth Regulators are used to break the life cycle of the roaches. Tekko Pro is the top recommendation.
Comes in 4 oz and 16 oz containers. 1 pint 16 gallons. Mix 1 oz of Tekko Pro per gallon of water, per 1,500 square feet.
Gentrol IGR Liquid Concentrate is an insect growth regulator.
Comes in 1 oz bottles/10 bottles per box
Each bottle makes one gallon of finished product
Gentrol IGR Aerosol :Dissipating foam assures complete coverage. 16 oz. can cover 1200 sq.ft of surface area.
All the benefits of an insect growth regulator in a discreet, non-spray formulation.
Catches roaches by pheomones and a food scent.The 330 has been designed with 3 entry points, a silicone surface to prevent escapes and a low profile to fit into small, tight corners.
Catches roaches by pheomones and a food scent.
The M 327 has multiple access points, two catch areas, and patented roach pheromone attractant provide twice the trapping power and catch of the leading competitive monitors