The German cockroach is one of the most common roaches found in apartment houses, restaurants, and hotels. German cockroaches (eggs included), are "brought in", usually on man's belongings, luggage, boxes or packages.All it takes is bringing in one egg capsule, six months later you have an infestation.
The best way to get rid of German Roaches is place out a high quality roach bait like Invict Gold to kill the adult German roaches and an insect growth regulator (IGR) like Tekko Pro to stop the reproduction of roaches. We have both products in a kit , Invict Gold Roach Kit for savings.
German Roach Control & Treatments
German Roaches & Sanitation
When beginning your German roach control program, sanitation is one of the first things to consider. German roaches only need a small amount of food to sustain them.
- Remove indoor trash or keep them emptied.
- Keep trash dumpsters clean.
- Make sure food is not left in sink stainers and frequently run the garbage disposal.
- Keep dishes clean, no residue of food remaining.
- All kitchen appliances (microwaves, toasters, ovens, refrigerators and stoves) should be maintained in a clean condition so that it is food free and grease free.
- All pet food needs to be picked up.
- No food left out.
- Sweeping or vacuuming of any food particles or crumbs.
- Clean any crumbs or food particles in your kitchen cabinets.
Inspection : Look for Evidence
When inspecting for German cockroaches, thoroughness is very important. It is important to place the insecticides as close to their runways and harborages as possible. Their excrement looks like black pepper.
A flashlight would be a handy tool to check the following places.
- Cracks and Crevices
- Behind and under refrigerators
- Behind and under stoves
- Behind and under microwavesa and toasters
- Under tops of tables
- Behind and under sinks
- Cabinets-corners and cracks and crevices
- Motors of refrigerators and soft drink dispensing machines
- Switchboxes and electical outlets
- Under and behind cafeteria counters and soda fountains
- Cash registers
- Vegetable bins
- Recycling bins
- Meat counters and check-out stands
- Meat cutting blocks
- Anywhere else conditions are favorable.
- Every situation may be different, inspect all places with favorable conditions
Using Baits, Insect Growth Regulators (IGR'S), Dusts and Roach Traps
We recommend using gel baits, dust baits, roach bait stations, insect growth regulators (IGR), dusts and roach pheromone traps for residential and commercial areas.
Very often high levels of control can be achieved by baits alone for the typical homeowner. Several very effective bait products are on the market today. However, like any chemical control, resistance to the ingredients in baits can occur. The products we recommend have not had a resistant problem. For locations with a continued problem, it is recommended to rotate baits.
- Gel baits have quicker results than bait stations. The top recommendations are Invict Roach Bait Gel or Vendetta Roach Bait Gel. Bait Stations are perfect for ongoing maintenance after the use of gel baits. The top recommendation in the roach bait station catgegory is Advion Arena Roach Bait Stations.
- A flowable bait, such as Avert Dry Flowable is a long lasting dry formulation. It is be be applied in areas where you can not reach to apply a gel bait.
- IGRs (Insect Growth Regulators) reduce the ability to reproduce. You may apply IGRs with any bait or any insecticide without conflict. Tekko Pro is the top recommendation among all of the insect growth regulators
- Do not apply repellent insecticides( liquids or dusts) near gel baits or bait stations, they would contaminate them.
- Commercial kitchens and restaurants may be an exception of using just roach baits.
For German Roach control in restaurants we recommend the use of insecticides, aerosols, dusts, and insect growth regulators instead of baits. There is too much competing food sources for effective control of german roaches in restaurants with bait.
Click here: Roach Bait Gel Placement Tips
Roach Bait Gel Kits (Combine Gel Baits and IGRs)
Invict Gold Roach Gel Kit or Ultimate Roach Bait Kit-Top Recommendations
This kit contains Invict Roach Bait with Tekko Pro IGR for the best combination for German roach control, it kills the adult population and prevents new births. InVict Gold Cockroach Gel rapidly kills roaches with its bait matrix of 11 food attractants as a lure. It is known to maximize roach control and fight against bait aversion.
Tekko Pro, with its two different active ingredients, not only prevents the German cockroach larvae from becoming an adult but also weakens the molting process to make the roach vulnerable to external pressures, decreasing survival rate. Tekko Pro is a concentrate that mixes with water.
Contains all of products in the Invict Roach Kit plus Invade Bio Zap. It also contains a Quart Sprayer to mix the Tekko Pro IGR.
This kit combines the Vendetta Roach bait comes with the insect growth regulator, Tekko Pro IGR . Vendetta Roach Bait has both proven to be extremely effective on German Roaches. Vendetta roach bait quickly and effectively kills hard-to-kill cockroaches. Vendetta roach bait, with Abamectin B1 0.05%, attracts both bait-averse and non-averse cockroaches.
Invict Gold, Alpine, Advion and Vendetta Roach baits have great roach bait acceptance and are superior to other professional roach baits on the market with some very quick results.
Click Here: Cockroach Baits
Alpine Cockroach Gel Bait in a piston can. This can is the best of both worlds, the convenience of spraying, but in a gel bait form. Contains the reduced risk insecticide Dinotefuran. It is free of the Big 8 Allergens
Roach Dust Baits
Avert Dry Flowable Bait Placements
Roach Bait Stations
Arena Roach Bait
Maxforce Roach Bait Stations are both useful as a roach bait. The use of the roach stations are slower acting than the gel forms, but will last for several months without drying out.
These bait stations do not work as quickly as the roach bait gels, but they do not dry out.
Where Do I Place These Baits ?
Typical harboraging areas for German Roaches and places for treatment of Roach Bait :
- German roaches will exist under favorable conditions of food, water or warmth.
- Before treating any area, it is best to first take a flashlight and check areas for harborage sites. Look for their excrement droppings (looks like black pepper).
Suggested Bait Placements
Cracks and crevice placement, as opposed to placement on exposed surfaces is preferred because roaches do not travel far from their harborage. These precise placements result in better control because you have placed it in areas that the roaches spend most of their time.
- Behind kitchen cabinets and counter tops.
- Behind anything hanging on the wall, such as pictures, clocks, posters, etc.
- Behind, next to, and under the stove.
- In the corners up under the sink and other cabinets.
- In stored paper bags and boxes.
- Around pipes, cords, and cables that come out of the wall.
- Behind and under bathroom fixtures.
- Behind the medicine cabinet and vanity.
- In any cracks or crevices around shelves or wood trim.
Roaches are cannibalistic and will eat other dead or dying roaches.
The roaches are not social insects like ants and termites, they do not carry the bait back to feed the young. The bait is passed through by excrement or eating the dead roaches.
It is important to re-bait in the areas where the the roaches are taking the bait. Paying attention to this will speed up the treatment.
What are Insect Growth Regulators?
- Using insect growth regulators like Gentrol IGR'S and Tekko Pro break the roach growth cycle.
- Tekko Pro stops the reproduction and reduces the survival of the German roach with two different modes of action. It effects the molting process, making the German roach vulnerable to survival and it stops it at the larvae state.
- Gentrol attacks the male nymph roach(mutating reproductive abilities) and causes the pregnant female to consume the bait when she would normally not want to consume food during part of her pregnancy.
- Our top recommendation is the Tekko Pro
Tekko Pro-Top Recommendation
Comes in 4 oz and 16 oz containers.
1 pint yields 16 gallons. Mix 1 oz of Tekko Pro per gallon of water, per 1,500 square feet.
Gentrol IGR Liquid Concentrate is an insect growth regulator.
Comes in 1 oz bottles/10 bottles per box
Each bottle makes one gallon of finished product
Gentrol IGR Aerosol : Dissipating foam assures complete coverage. 16 oz. can cover 1200 sq.ft of surface area.
All the benefits of an insect growth regulator in a discreet, non-spray formulation.
How do I use insecticide dusts for German roach control ?
- Dust should supplement any insecticide of bait control program for German roach control.
- Sometimes, bait alone will not be sufficient for roach control. Restaurants will need a good dusting/liquid insecticide program because baiting will not work.
- Those that live in apartments might benefit from dusitng behind the plumbing area under their sinks and electrical outlets.
- When you apply them to recessed and dry areas, they give you long lasting results. Typical areas to dust would be electrical outlets, so a hand duster with a plastic tip would be needed.
- Do not place these dusts in the exact same location of any roach baits, as it would contaminate the baits.
- Click Here for: Cockroach Dusts
This dust is particulary helpful as a mop solution in restaurants. Can be used as a dry dust or wet mop solution.
99.0% Orthoboric Acid
D-Fense Dust :D-Fense Dust is a ready to use insecticide dust which gives an effective knockdown and residual control of up to 8 months if undisturbed.
What are the purpose of Cockroach Traps?
These not only trap roaches, but is an excellent monitoring tool. Cockroach infestations can be monitored with these pheromone traps. These low profile traps can be placed under cabinets adn kitchen appliances. They can be placed out of view, but close to harborages. It is recommended that traps ve placed flush against surfaces. As those placed 3/4 inch from walls cach about half as many cockroaches as those placed flush against them.
Aerosols and "Bombs" to Kill Cockroaches
Phantom Aerosol is the top recommendation in the aerosol category. It provides a long residual and is a non-repellent (the roaches can't detect its presence). It also remains on the surface longer than other aerosols.
Phantom Aerosol may be used with roach baits and will enhance your German Roach control.
Use D-Force HPX Aerosol if you need a slightly quicker start before killing the entire roach population with your roach baits.
However the recommeded roach baits are so effective,many find they don't need to use such an aerosol.
When using this residual insecticide (D-Force HPX Aerosol), don't place the bait out yet, because it would contaminate it; wait about 10 days.
D-Force contains Deltamethrin.
We also carry other insecticides, baits, and dust not listed here
Aerosol "bombs" such as Fogasol Foggers are commonly referred to are actually total release aerosol cans.
German Roach Control in Restaurants
Many times, german roaches in restaurants require insecticides as opposed to baiting. Using baits in German roach control requires that their is no competing food sources. In restaurants, it is almost impossible to eliminate all competing food sources.
In restaurants, you may have to still
spray with a residual insecticide such as Orthene PCO. You can also use roach baits and aerosols like Phantom in commercial kitchens.
Orthene PCO by itself or combined with roach baits. Orthene PCO will not conflict with the roach baits.
We encourage you to call us for recommendations, in that we have had a long history of helping restaurants solve their problem, but needs to be handled on a individual basis. Use Tekko Pro mixed with Orthene PCO insecticide to stop the reproduction.
The Commercial German Roach Kit combines several products together for savings and is optimized for commercial kitchens and restaurants or for property managment.
Another product that is recommended for restaurants is:
Eaton's Boric Acid Powder Eaton's Boric Acid Powder may be applied as a mop rinse insecticide that leaves an odorless, invisible residue which cockroaches cannot detect.
German Cockroach Identification
Adult German roaches range in size from 1/2 inch- 5/8 inch long. They are light to medium brown. They have 2 dark distinctive stripes behind the head. The young German roaches (nymphs) are smaller than adults and are wingless. They have a light stripe on their backs and are darker in color.
German cockroach, Blattella germanica, Photo credit: Gary Alpert, Harvard University, Bugwood.org
German Cockroach Diet
These roaches will eat a broad range of foods and prefer to stay close to food and water sources.
Habits and Biology of German Cockroaches
Females produce one egg capsule every 3-4 weeks. Each capsule contains 25-45 eggs, the largest capsule of all roach species that would infest a building. The female will carry the egg capsule with her until it is ready to hatch, making it less hazardous for the nymph to survive. The female German roach also has the shortest period to develop from hatching until sexual maturity. The populations of German cockroaches will build up faster than other species The young (nymphs) will be able to breed in as little as 36 days. A combination of these traits produces what entomologists call a "high reproductive potential." Adult German roaches can live up to one year
Where German Roaches Are Found
German roach infestations are usually are generally found in kitchens and bathrooms. If the population is large enough, they will spill over to other rooms. These roaches are mostly active at night .If German roaches are seen active during the day, it most likely is due to overcrowding in their hiding places or a shortage of food and water supply. Cracks and crevices are their harborage areas; they spend about 75% of their time in such harborages. First instar nymphs require a crack of about 1/32" whereas, adults require an inch width.German cockroach nymphs are smaller than most other cockroaches; thus, they are able to conceal themselves in many places and remain protected.
How German Roaches Enter A Building
The German cockroach can move well within a building. They also can travel from a neighboring apartment or location to another and can pass through small openings like light switch plates. Many times they are brought in with grocery items, grocery bags, cartons, handbags, and luggage.
An inspection is important to find all potential harborages and a determination if it had been brought in with certain items.
If insecticides have been used in a building, there is a possibility that the German cockroach simply scattered to another area. These harborages need to be located and treated. It may not be possible to eliminate all the German cockroaches in a building completely if a consistent supply of cockroaches is carried into the premises via packages or food shipments.